The goal of this technique is to slow down your breathing, especially when you are exhaling.
Steps for relaxed breathing:
- Choose a word that you associate with relaxation, such as calm, relaxation or peace.
- Inhale through your nose and exhale slowly through your mouth. Take normal breaths, not deep ones.
- While you exhale, say the relaxing word you have chosen. Say it very slowly.
- Pause after exhaling before taking your next breath. If it’s not too distracting, count to four before inhaling each new breath.
- Repeat the entire sequence 10 to 15 times.